It’s not quite as warm as us New Englanders would like yet, but we do have the outdoor season on our minds. As the temperatures heat up, so do ideas for how to make our outdoor spaces an oasis to enjoy all summer long.
At Mast & Falls, we love helping clients across New England – from Concord and Lincoln to Newton, Wellesley and more – to design an outdoor space to enjoy just as much as their interiors. Here are a few of our favorite things used in a recent exterior design project for a client in Needham, Mass.
We love the simplicity of the lines of this dining chair, available at Didriks.
As part of a new addition to the back of the home, we added a beautiful new deck and overhead trellis structure to take advantage of the gorgeous hilly view in the client’s back yard. Multi-levels that step down to the back yard open up the space and encourage its use by visitors.
We love the way the trellis casts shadows across the deck that constantly change with the sun during the day. For those times when the sun get too hot, we installed a retractable awning that covers the trellis, creating a great place to relax and entertain. Mast & Falls also helped design the furniture layout, select key pieces, and choose accompanying fabrics, creating a bold yet practical color scheme. The seat cushions are a deep chocolate brown, with accent pillows of spring green and cream. We stuck with simple lines and a contemporary style.
Points to remember for outdoor décor:
- Keep it simple – you want to enhance nature, not take away from its beauty
- Choose colors that compliment the outdoors
- Find vendors who specialize in outdoor furnishings, to ensure longevity (all furniture in this project is from Didrik’s in Newton, Mass.)
- Bring outdoor furniture and plants inside during the off season
- Work with your local greenhouse to choose the right plants for pots vs plantings
- Consider solar lighting and faux candles in hurricane lamps for safe and responsible ambiance